Monashee Got Litt Up

January 19th, 2017

Photo by Sarah James / The Phoenix News

Photo by Sarah James / The Phoenix News

On the night of January 2, Kelowna’s Fire Dispatch Center received a 911 call reporting smoke coming from a unit on the second floor of one of UBCO’s student resident buildings.

In response to the call, the Kelowna Fire Department sent three fire engines, a ladder truck, a rescue unit, and a command vehicle along with 16 personnel to 1267 Discovery Ave. at UBCO.

Upon arriving at the scene, first responders immediately began evacuating residents from the building. Due to the timing, it is reported that only 25 residents were in the building at the time of the fire.

First responders recognized the smoke as coming from a unit on the second floor. Inside the unit, they noticed a mattress and bedding placed up against a baseboard heater. It is considered that the heater ignited nearby bedding and that the fire activated alarms and sprinklers in the unit.

Although the sprinkler activation system extinguished the fire before it could spread, the 2nd floor unit and 6 surrounding units sustained smoke and water damage. No students were injured.

The person residing in the unit where the fire started was the person to dial 911 and report the incident. Despite managing to vacate the premises without injury, the resident was still checked over by ambulance personnel before going to stay at a friend’s place.

The cleanup and reconstruction work took place the next day, and all affected students have since been relocated.

The Kelowna Fire Department has since released a statement advising students and the public to double check and make certain that their smoke alarms are working.

Mission Group Student Rentals
Parking 2018